Updated August 1, 2020
Dear Patients, Friends and Colleagues:
We hope this letter finds you and your family in good health. Our community has been through many challenges over the last few months, and all of us are looking forward to resuming our normal habits and routines. While many things have changed, our commitment to your safety as well as the safety of our dedicated staff has not.
Infection control has always been a top priority for our practice. We are guided by the recommendations of the American Dental Association (ADA), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We monitor these agencies daily and implement the most effective forms of sterilization and disinfection for both efficacy and safety for patients and staff. We meet and exceed all recommendations because it is the right thing to do.
Recently, we purchased three (3) Swiss-made IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifiers. The IQAir HealthPro Series features HyperHEPA filtration technology for superior airborne particle removal, tested and certified by an independent third-party lab to effectively filter harmful ultrafine pollution particles down to 0.003 microns in size – 100x smaller than what is achieved with ordinary air filtration technology and 10x smaller than a virus. Additionally, special dental attachments are used with these filters which will be positioned next to each patient as they receive treatment. Finally, a number of other devices are employed to further reduce aerosol transmission.
You may see some changes when it is time for your next appointment. Our current infection control protocols include the following:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Masks, respirators, gowns, hair bonnets, gloves, face shields
- Hand washing and sanitizer gel
- Regular staff training and infection control protocols
- Our office will communicate with you beforehand to ask screening questions. You’ll be asked those same questions again before entering the office.
- We ask that you wear a mask when entering our office and should you not have one, we will gladly offer you one. Please note that masks with built in exhalation ports will not be allowed entry to our office. These ports do not filter the exhaled aerosols. For your convenience we will provide you with an appropriate mask if necessary.
- Your temperature will be taken prior to entering our office. Staff temperatures will also be taken regularly for your protection as well.We ask that family members remain outside of the office while patient is receiving treatment. We understand that for some, this may not be feasible and we will, of course, accommodate each situation.
- We provide hand sanitizer that meets current guidelines for health care facilities which we will require you to use when you enter the office. Patients will be required to perform a 20-second hand wash before being seated in the dental operatory. Hand sanitizer will be dispensed again upon completion of treatment.
- You may notice that our waiting room will no longer offer magazines, toys and so forth, as those items are difficult to clean and disinfect.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing and increased time to disinfect rooms between patients.
Finally, we are excited to share that we have officially moved to our new office in Kaimuki. It is just a few miles from our Ala Moana office with easy freeway access. Our patients are reporting that this location is easier to access with a more relaxed environment. The address is 3660 Waialae Avenue, and home of the award-winning restaurant, 3660 On the Rise, on the corner of Waialae Avenue and Wilhelmina Rise. Our office is on the second floor, Suite 212. We are sharing this suite with my longtime friend and colleague, Dr. Armand Chong. Please park in the building so that we may validate your parking fee. This office space design allows us to implement our new protocols and newly implemented filtration systems to perform more effectively. We will be seeing patients only at this office. We think you will enjoy our new location.
We look forward to seeing you again and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the steps we are taking to keep you and every patient safe in our practice. We can be reached at our same number for our new office, 808-945-9977. Please visit our website for updates at www.airwayfocuseddentalcare.com.
Thank you for allowing us to care for your health. We value your trust and loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back.
Dr. Terence Young and Team